Wrist & Hand Pain Relief at Zaker Chiropractic
If you've ever boasted that you could perform a particular task with one hand tied behind your back, chances are that you've never actually experienced debilitating hand or wrist pain. This kind of discomfort can make writing, holding a fork, playing a musical instrument, or even tying your shoes all but impossible. Hand and wrist pain can be associated with a variety of underlying injuries and conditions, some of which have traditionally been treated with invasive surgery.
Thankfully, you can most likely get the relief you need without going under the knife, thanks to the gentle, non-invasive techniques offered by our Newport Beach, Torrance, and San Pedro chiropractor at Zaker Chiropractic.
Causes of Wrist Pain and Hand Pain
Your hands and wrists are capable of remarkably delicate work, partly because of those handy items known as opposable thumbs, and partly because of the sheer complexity of that lies within. The hand hosts no fewer than 19 separate bones, while the "wrist bone" is actually a collection of 10 different bones. Some of the carpal bones of the wrist attach to the forearm, while others attach to the hand.
A complex network of ligaments and tendons allows these bones to move, while a combination of cartilage and synovial fluid keep them moving smoothly and without pain. Nerves run through a space between the wrist bones known as the carpal tunnel.
As you might imagine, it doesn't take much to throw this complex assembly out of kilter -- and when that happens, pain is typically a result. Some of the common causes of wrist and hand pain include:
- Fracture or dislocation - A fracture in the wrist or hand cause prove intensely painful and may require emergency treatment. An acute hand injury may also include one or more dislocated fingers.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome - Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve (the nerve which supplies motor and sensory commands to the thumb and first three fingers) becomes pinched by the structures surrounding it. This is often related to repetitive motions that strain the wrist's tendons or ligaments, causing them to swell up. If you have naturally small carpal tunnels, you may at a higher risk of developing this syndrome.
- Arthritis - Arthritis produces painful swelling and stiffness in the joints of the hand. In the most common type of arthritis, osteoarthritis, the cartilage between the bone ends deteriorates, leaving you with crippling pain in your fingers or thumbs. age or injury can both spur the development of arthritis.
- Trigger finger - Stenosing tenosynovitis, more casually known as trigger finger, can cause one of your fingers to get "stuck" so that you can't straighten it out easily. It's the result of inflammation in the sheaths that house certain finger tendons.
- De Quervain's tendinitis - De Quervain's tendinitis is a specific type of tendon inflammation that occurs toward the base of the thumb. Overuse of the thumb and previous wrist fractures can make you vulnerable to this kind of chronic pain.
Chiropractors Can Treat Hand and Wrist Pain Without Surgery or Drugs
Chiropractors offer hand and wrist pain treatment using conservative solutions that can help patients avoid more intensive treatment. For instance, many carpal tunnel syndrome sufferers undergo major surgery that alters your wrist structure for life and requires extensive recuperation time.
But the truth is that you can probably avoid this unappealing option by receiving chiropractic care instead. Our Newport Beach, Torrance, and San Pedro chiropractors can adjust the positions of your wrist and hand bones to give the median nerve more free space. If the nerve is actually being pinched back at the cervical spine, we can find that impingement and provide the necessary spinal manipulation to release it.
Our Newport Beach, Torrance, and San Pedro chiropractors provide hand and wrist pain treatment using a variety of treatment modalities that can be combined to treat specific causes of hand and wrist pain. In addition to extremity adjustment and spinal adjustment, you may benefit from:
- Massage therapy and cryotherapy to reduce swelling and inflammation in tissues
- Physical therapy to help you rebuild strength and flexibility in an injured hand or wrist
- Decompression therapy to relieve a pinched nerve root (which may be sending pain to your hand)
- Manipulation under anesthesia to correct especially difficult or painful problems
Let Our Newport Beach, Torrance, and San Pedro Chiropractor provide wrist and hand pain treatment
Don't let yourself go through life disabled by wrist pain or hand pain. Call our Newport Beach, Torrance, and San Pedro Chiropractor at any of our three locations to schedule a hand and wrist pain treatment for yourself or a family member. For more answers about hand pain or wrist pain, make an appointment with Zaker Chiropractic.
Our chiropractors provide a wide variety of services to diagnose and treat pinched nerves. Zaker Chiropractic has several locations to serve you. Call (949) 734-4454 for an appointment in Newport Pain & Wellness in Newport Beach, (424) 235-1562 for South Bay Pain & Wellness in Torrance, or (310) 831-0003 for an appointment with San Pedro Pain & Wellness in San Pedro. Each clinic offers a multidisciplinary list of services.
New patients get a FREE 30-minute Massage/Pilates or Strength Training!